A look at the model
Metacognition: The key
Anxiety reduction tips
The research basis for
the strategies, tips, and techniques presented
Frequently asked questions
Metacognition is defined as "Knowing what I know and what I don't
know." It is the first step and the key to success in applying appropriate
study strategies effectively. Metacognitive awareness
is a powerful tool in establishing conscious control and monitoring of
your own learning and success.
Metacognitive Strategies (& suggested
- You assess your knowledge base and its gaps, strengths, and weaknesses.
- You then decide which areas you want to address first (from
- Select the specific strategies you want to begin to use:
- Assess the "fit" to you and begin to monitor any changes
in "learning" that occur.
- Evaluate the continued use of chosen strategies and the need to add
other strategies (go back to step 1) and re-assess. The model becomes
a continuous cycle of conscious (metacognitive)
- assessment of needs,
- selecting and implementing strategies,
- and evaluation of effectiveness
NEXT: Motivation Strategies -->